The Learning Curve offers a fun packed and educational day for pupils and teachers alike. The children use a specially designed workbook (complete with stickers) and purpose-built experiments to discover how renewable technologies work. They will learn how photovoltaic (PV) panels can use solar energy to reduce electricity consumption and also investigate how air source heat pumps can provide heating in the middle of winter, by extracting ‘free’ energy from the outdoor air. They also carry out an experiment looking at water waste and visit the company’s special wormery, where kitchen waste is recycled.
Why not bring your class or eco-council and let us take the strain from you for the morning?
The event lasts for approximately three hours
introduction to renewable energy
- What is renewable energy?
- Energy in the home
- Lean, Mean, Green – the stages of reducing energy consumption in our homes and schools
- Walk to visit solar PV panel array, orchard, beehives and wild meadow*
- Recycle food waste at the wormery
(each small group moves round each activity, approx 20 mins each)
- Solar Energy – discussion, look at display, solar panel experiment
- Ground & Air Source heat pumps – discussion, changing state experiment
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – discussion, water waste experiment
Group discussion & close
- What have we learnt?
- Homework & Competition
* subject to time
For a printable agenda please click here.
You can view how this fits into the national curriculum here